With a complete overhaul of PS Plus rolling out in some regions, knowing which plan is right for you can be a little daunting.
Originally launched in 2010, PlayStation Plus has become one of the most popular subscription services in gaming history. Sony’s exclusive PlayStation service offers a wide variety of features, discounts and monthly games on which players can get their hands on. All for a fixed price, of course.
Whether you’re looking for the price of each plan, what exactly is included in each tier, or you’re new to PlayStation and just want to know exactly what Sony’s subscription service is all about, you’ve come to the right place.
- READ MORE: PS Plus Premium on PC: specs and requirements for streaming
What is PS Plus?
Not to be confused with PlayStation Network, PlayStation Plus is a paid subscription service that provides users with exclusive features.
One of the highlights of PlayStation Plus is the monthly games available to subscribers. On the first Tuesday of each month, PS Plus subscribers can get their hands on select PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 titles. As long as you remain subscribed to the service, these games are yours forever, but if you don’t claim them from the store at during the month, you will lose some “free” games. I use the term “free” very loosely, because you’re still paying for the service.
However, it’s not just about free games, there are also exclusive discounts available from the PlayStation Store, online multiplayer access, and cloud storage for all your saved data. Plus, if you’re willing to pay a little more, three new tiers are introduced with access to classic PS2, PS3, and PSP titles, time-limited game trials, and more.
What do you get with PS Plus?
What you get with PS Plus depends entirely on the type of plan you choose. Plan types range from essential to premium, all of which can be found below:
Essential – (Available Worldwide)
- Monthly PS4 and PS5 games
- Online multiplayer access
- Exclusive discounts
- Online storage
Extra – (Available Worldwide)
- Same benefits as Essential subscribers
- Catalog of PS4 and PS5 games
Luxury – (Only available in markets with cloud streaming)
- Same benefits as Essential and Extra subscribers
- Original catalog of classic PlayStation, PS2 and PSP games and PS3 remasters
Prime – (Only available in markets with cloud streaming)
- Same benefits as Essential, Extra and Deluxe subscribers
- Time-limited play trials on hit titles
- Original PS3 games via cloud streaming
- Cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games
How much does PS Plus cost?
Again, the cost of PS Plus depends on the type of plan you choose and whether or not you pay monthly, quarterly or annually. Sony has yet to confirm a pricing plan for the Deluxe service, but all remaining prices can be found below:
- United States
- $9.99 per month / $24.99 per term / $59.99 per year
- €8.99 per month / €24.99 per quarter / €59.99 per year
- £6.99 per month / £19.99 per term / £49.99 per year
- ¥850 per month / ¥2,150 per term / ¥5,143 per year
- United States
- $14.99 per month / $39.99 per quarter / $99.99 per year
- €13.99 per month / €39.99 per quarter / €99.99 per year
- £10.99 per month / £31.99 per term / £83.99 per year
- ¥1,300 per month / ¥3,600 per term / ¥8,600 per year
- United States
- $17.99 per month / $49.99 per quarter / $119.99 per year
- €16.99 per month / €49.99 per quarter / €119.99 per year
- £13.49 per month / £39.99 per term / £99.99 per year
- ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 annually
How to subscribe to PS Plus
Subscribing to PS Plus can be done in two different ways, the first via your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console. If you are on a PlayStation 4 console, follow the steps below:
- Go to the “PlayStation Store” app, which should be on your console’s home screen.
- In the “Search” bar of the store, type “PlayStation Plus” and press Search.
- A list of options will then appear, ranging from 1 month of PlayStation Plus to 1 year.
- Select the plan you want and click buy!
The process is quite similar on PlayStation 5 but differs slightly. Follow the steps below if you are using the latest console generation and wish to purchase PlayStation Plus:
- Navigate to the “PlayStation Plus” app, which should be on your console’s home screen.
- Scroll down and select the “Subscribe” option.
- From there, you can select your plan and continue with your payment details.
The final way to purchase PlayStation Plus is through your computer on the official PlayStation website, follow the steps below if you wish to subscribe this way:
- Go to the “Join PS Plus” section of the PlayStation website by clicking here.
- Select “Sign in” at the top of the page and enter your PlayStation Network information.
- Select one of the three available plans and click “Add to Cart”.
- Go to your cart and complete your purchase, the next time you log in to your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console, your PS Plus will be active.
How to cancel a PS Plus subscription
Canceling your PS Plus subscription can be done through the Account Management section on your console. For PlayStation 4 users, go to PlayStation Plus on your home screen, then select Manage Membershipfollowed by Subscription. From here, you can turn off auto-renewal for your PS Plus subscription.
For PlayStation 5 users, go to Settings and select the Users and Accounts option. You will then need to select Account > Payment and Subscriptions > Subscriptions > PlayStation Plusfrom there, you can turn off auto-renewal of your subscription, thereby canceling the service.
If you want to cancel your subscription via computer, go to Account management section of the PlayStation website, select Subscription and you will then have the option to cancel your subscription.
What are the PS Plus monthly games for May 2022?
The games available for redemption from Tuesday, May 3, 2022 through Monday, June 6, 2022 on PS Plus are FIFA 22 (PS5 | PS4), Tribes of Midgard (PS5 | PS4), and Curse of the Dead Gods (PS4).
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: If I unsubscribe from PS Plus and re-subscribe later, will I keep my purchased games?
A: Yes, as long as your subscription is renewed on the account in which the monthly games were claimed, your games will return once your subscription is active again. free games WILL NOT be available during the cancellation period of your PS Plus subscription.
Q: Do I need PS Plus to play online games?
A: If a game is free, like Fortnite, you won’t need PS Plus to play online multiplayer. However, a purchased multiplayer title such as Call of Duty: Vanguardwill require PS Plus to play online multiplayer.
Q: Can I share my PS Plus benefits with another user?
A: Yes, some benefits can be shared on the main PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console, such as:
- Online multiplayer (subject to parental control settings).
- Downloaded games purchased with the PlayStation Plus discount.
- More monthly games downloaded.
Q: What will happen to my current PS Plus subscription once the brand new model is introduced?
A: According to Sony, current PS Plus members will upgrade to PlayStation Plus Essential, enjoying the same benefits PlayStation Plus offers today, such as monthly PS4 and PS5 games, exclusive discounts, cloud storage for saved games, a online multiplayer access, etc. There are no changes to the existing benefits you get from PlayStation Plus.