This tutorial is about how to install games on external hard drive in PlayStation 5. We will do our best for you to understand this guide. I hope you will like this blog How to Install Games on an External Hard Drive in PlayStation 5. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
Check How to Install Games on External Hard Drive in PlayStation 5
You might be wondering, why buy an external hard drive for PS5? If you want to play lots of PS4 games on your next-gen console, you need extra storage space. Since the SSD is relatively small and is required for PS5 playback, downloading your backward compatible PS4 games to an external hard drive gives you enormous freedom. How to remove another storage space from PS5. Since all next-gen games use the PlayStation 5‘s high-speed SSD, you can’t transfer them to external storage. However, there are plenty of PS4 games you can play on your new console.
As of this writing, you can only use an external hard drive to store and play PS4 games. All your media gallery content and data saved using the “Create” button will be stored on the PS5’s SSD. It is also currently not possible to transfer PS5 games for safekeeping. If you already have an external hard drive that you use on your PS4 or PS4 Pro, you can just plug it into your PS5 and continue using it. Please note that you will need to ensure that you are using the same PlayStation Network account to continue playing your games, as your licenses are tied to your PSN username.
Format external hard drive to store PS5 games
If you’re connecting a new hard drive to store PS5 games, you’ll need to format it with your console first. This is how you can do it.
- Connect your external hard drive or SSD to the PS5 console.
- Go to Settings -> Storage.
- Select “Extended Storage”, then go to “Format as Extended Storage”.
- Click “Yes” on the warning screen that appears.
Enable/disable installing games to extended storage
By default, once you set up an extended storage device for your PlayStation, it will install new PS4 games to extended storage. That way, you don’t have to worry about cutting-edge games taking up valuable space on your SSD. However, if you don’t want this feature, you can disable it as well.
- Go to Settings -> Storage.
- Select “Extended Storage” and turn off the switch next to “Always install PS4 games to extended storage”.
How to Use an External Hard Drive on PS5
If you already have an external hard drive that you use on your PS4 or PS4 Pro, you can just plug it into your PS5 and continue using it. Please note that you will need to ensure that you are using the same PlayStation Network account to continue playing your games, as your licenses are tied to your PSN username. Be sure to connect your external hard drive to one of the two USB ports on the back of your console, as these are high-speed connections.
If you’re using a new external hard drive, you’ll need to format it for use on PS5.
- All you have to do is plug it into your console, then go to Settings > Storage > Extended Storage > Format as Extended Storage.
- It will take a few minutes, but at the end of the process you should be notified that your external hard drive is available.
- Make sure to enable the Always install PS4 games to Extended Storage option if you want to automatically install all PS4 software to your external hard drive.
Final words: How to install games on an external hard drive in PlayStation 5
Hope you understand this article How to Install Games on an External Hard Drive in PlayStation 5, if your answer is no, you can ask anything via the contact forum section linked to this article. And if your answer is yes, share this article with your family and friends.