PlayStation is shutting down servers for one of its popular PS4 exclusives in September. Last console generation, many of the best games were PS4 exclusives or PS4 console exclusives. Between the tastes of transmitted by blood, God of the war, The Last of Us Part II, Uncharted 4, personas 5, Marvel’s Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushimaand Final Fantasy VII Remake, PlayStation was firing on all cylinders. Most of these compelling PS4 exclusives were story-driven single-player games, but they dabbled in multiplayer here and there. An example of the latter, which also happens to be one of the most prominent examples, is Everyone’s Golf, which was not a mega hit but certainly had and has its fans. Unfortunately, its servers are shutting down.
Very discreetly, and using the Japanese branch of PlayStation, Sony announced that on September 30, 2022 the servers of Everyone’s Golf will cease to exist, leaving game owners no choice but to enjoy offline play, which is an option, but not the appeal for many.
“Thank you for continuing to enjoy the PlayStation4 software Everyone’s Golf“, We read in a brief statement that accompanies the news. “Effective September 30, 2022, we have decided to end the online service of Everyone’s Golf. We would like to thank all the management teams for enjoying the online play of this game for a long time since the service was launched on August 31, 2017. You can continue to enjoy the offline play even after the online service has ended.
Now, this translation goes through Google Translate, so it’s unclear how accurate it is, but the dates are accurate. That said, in addition to the blurb above, Sony also provides the following list of features that will no longer be available after this date.
- “Open course” selection
- Participation in the “national competition”
- Game of “Hall Battle”
- Use of the “competition room”
- Browse the latest “Daily Leaderboard”
- Browse the latest “Copy Ranking”
- Partial navigation in “Avis BOX”
- Browse some of the “Posts of the Month”
- Browse some of “Last Month’s Articles”
- Purchase and use of “Warp Medal”
- Acquisition of some objects related to “fishing”
- “Report” to the player
- Show last “profile card” and last “number of copies”
- Browse part of “Library”
- Acquire the Platinum Trophy “The Master of All”
- Acquisition of the “Fish Picture Book Collector” Gold Trophy
- Earned the “Online Debut ☆” bronze trophy
As you can see, shutting down the servers will make it impossible to get the Platinum Trophy, so if you’re interested in getting that achievement, go for it.
At press time, PlayStation hasn’t given any idea why it’s shutting down the PS4 game’s servers, but it’s likely because the costs of maintaining them now outweigh the benefits.